This week's roundup of crafty things...
Finished Objects (FOs)
Technically none this week. We were away with my sister-in-law and her family in Menorca for most of the week so didn't get that much done. I finished a top just over a week ago which I took with me on our holiday. I'm really pleased with how it came out and just need to get a photo to show it off.
I also haven't managed to get any new fabric yet so I am trying to plan how to use up some stash instead (see plans below). We walked most of the way to Ribes y Casals in Palma (a truly amazing fabric shop which I am sure would become my second home if we were closer so it's probably a good thing we are a little further away) before I realised that it was early afternoon so it would be closed for a while yet. I guess I will get used to Spanish opening times eventually.
Work in progress (WIPs)
I've mostly been working on my Jo's Pride hooded shawl (Ravelry link) which I started about 2 and a half weeks ago. I'm now onto the last couple of repeats on the hood before I block and sew up. It is such a great concept and for once I am really pleased with the reality of it too. I am using Katia Merino Classic in a navy blue (the picture makes it look a lot lighter than it is) which actually works really well for it though I think it might end up a bit on the heavy side. I am glad I didn't add the beads otherwise it would definitely be saggy. I am already thinking of making a second, smaller one in a different colour, possibly using different stitch patterns for the various panels. The way the pattern is written would make it very easy to substitute a stitch pattern and that could be fun to play with using my knitting stitches book (one of the few knitting books I brought with me).
Plans
Aside from the next shawl, I don't have immediate knitting plans. I would love to use some of the laceweight yarn I have sitting in stash so I could look through the Victorian Lace Today book for some inspiration but I'm not sure I'm ready for that right now.
I have been back through the sewing magazines I bought and there are half a dozen things in those that I would love to make. My current problem is that really none of them suit the fabrics I already have. I would prefer to reduce my stash if at all possible so I think over the next couple of weeks I need to open up the fabric stash and see what jumps out at me. I do have some lovely cottons that were intended for work tops which could still make nice tops. There are also a few pieces of jersey in bright colours that were intended for more versions of the Davy dress but I have just realised that the pattern for that didn't escape my purge, what an idiot! I don't think I can justify buying another copy so I will see what other magazines are available next time I'm at a decent newsagent stand and whether one of those might have a jersey-friendly pattern. I don't mind copying pattern pieces from magazines but I have no printer at the moment so online patterns won't really do unless they are more like a tutorial or recipe. Any suggestions for great, simple sewing patterns for knit fabrics? Or something to inspire me to use up the cottons?
What are you all working on at the moment, and what do you need to find the right pattern for?
Finished Objects (FOs)
Technically none this week. We were away with my sister-in-law and her family in Menorca for most of the week so didn't get that much done. I finished a top just over a week ago which I took with me on our holiday. I'm really pleased with how it came out and just need to get a photo to show it off.
I also haven't managed to get any new fabric yet so I am trying to plan how to use up some stash instead (see plans below). We walked most of the way to Ribes y Casals in Palma (a truly amazing fabric shop which I am sure would become my second home if we were closer so it's probably a good thing we are a little further away) before I realised that it was early afternoon so it would be closed for a while yet. I guess I will get used to Spanish opening times eventually.
Work in progress (WIPs)
I've mostly been working on my Jo's Pride hooded shawl (Ravelry link) which I started about 2 and a half weeks ago. I'm now onto the last couple of repeats on the hood before I block and sew up. It is such a great concept and for once I am really pleased with the reality of it too. I am using Katia Merino Classic in a navy blue (the picture makes it look a lot lighter than it is) which actually works really well for it though I think it might end up a bit on the heavy side. I am glad I didn't add the beads otherwise it would definitely be saggy. I am already thinking of making a second, smaller one in a different colour, possibly using different stitch patterns for the various panels. The way the pattern is written would make it very easy to substitute a stitch pattern and that could be fun to play with using my knitting stitches book (one of the few knitting books I brought with me).
Plans
Aside from the next shawl, I don't have immediate knitting plans. I would love to use some of the laceweight yarn I have sitting in stash so I could look through the Victorian Lace Today book for some inspiration but I'm not sure I'm ready for that right now.
I have been back through the sewing magazines I bought and there are half a dozen things in those that I would love to make. My current problem is that really none of them suit the fabrics I already have. I would prefer to reduce my stash if at all possible so I think over the next couple of weeks I need to open up the fabric stash and see what jumps out at me. I do have some lovely cottons that were intended for work tops which could still make nice tops. There are also a few pieces of jersey in bright colours that were intended for more versions of the Davy dress but I have just realised that the pattern for that didn't escape my purge, what an idiot! I don't think I can justify buying another copy so I will see what other magazines are available next time I'm at a decent newsagent stand and whether one of those might have a jersey-friendly pattern. I don't mind copying pattern pieces from magazines but I have no printer at the moment so online patterns won't really do unless they are more like a tutorial or recipe. Any suggestions for great, simple sewing patterns for knit fabrics? Or something to inspire me to use up the cottons?
What are you all working on at the moment, and what do you need to find the right pattern for?
Comments
Post a Comment