A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful.
Trips
My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.
We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it.
I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are great company and for me there have been very few moments when I felt like I needed to escape. They are around until Wednesday, when my middle brother arrives with his girlfriend so no rest in between guests this time!
Budgeting
I was tragically excited when I managed to download a piece of finance software I used to use for tracking my own money. I then spent a merry day (yes, I am an accountant still at heart) transferring all the data from what I had been using more recently and hate. Oh the joy when I could finally run proper reports and see what I want to see. Which is not just me being 'accountanty' but genuinely useful. We are planning what to do with ourselves at the moment so I need a better idea of how much money we need to get by. I am hoping that by working from home on a few things I can bring in enough extra money to bridge the gap from my husband's salary, plus still have time and energy to look after us (you know, cook, clean, take us to nice places). I really don't feel ready for another 'real' job at this point. This does depend on him getting a job and we haven't had a confirmed interview date yet so I am trying not to count my chickens. It also relies on our house in the UK being let which it should be from 1 July but again, no signed contract so we could be a long way off. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic though.
Reading
I am really surprised how much I am enjoying The Last of the Mohicans. It is actually quite compelling reading, both for the action elements but also getting to understand the culture and customs of that time and place. I found the writing style and language quite hard work at first but I think you get used to them, at least I seem to have done. It has been worth the bit of effort so far.
Exercise
I have been quite lazy this week, I am using our guests as part of the excuse as it would be a bit weird to start doing a cardio workout in the living room while they're sitting here! We haven't done all that much walking around either so really I will need to get back on it once my brother has left.
Football World Cup
So far my predictions have been reasonably accurate in spite of my lack of knowledge about these things! I am only disappointed that Costa Rica lost their first match. Hopefully though Spain can still win the whole thing...
Trips
My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.
| Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral |
Budgeting
I was tragically excited when I managed to download a piece of finance software I used to use for tracking my own money. I then spent a merry day (yes, I am an accountant still at heart) transferring all the data from what I had been using more recently and hate. Oh the joy when I could finally run proper reports and see what I want to see. Which is not just me being 'accountanty' but genuinely useful. We are planning what to do with ourselves at the moment so I need a better idea of how much money we need to get by. I am hoping that by working from home on a few things I can bring in enough extra money to bridge the gap from my husband's salary, plus still have time and energy to look after us (you know, cook, clean, take us to nice places). I really don't feel ready for another 'real' job at this point. This does depend on him getting a job and we haven't had a confirmed interview date yet so I am trying not to count my chickens. It also relies on our house in the UK being let which it should be from 1 July but again, no signed contract so we could be a long way off. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic though.
Reading
I am really surprised how much I am enjoying The Last of the Mohicans. It is actually quite compelling reading, both for the action elements but also getting to understand the culture and customs of that time and place. I found the writing style and language quite hard work at first but I think you get used to them, at least I seem to have done. It has been worth the bit of effort so far.
Exercise
I have been quite lazy this week, I am using our guests as part of the excuse as it would be a bit weird to start doing a cardio workout in the living room while they're sitting here! We haven't done all that much walking around either so really I will need to get back on it once my brother has left.
Football World Cup
So far my predictions have been reasonably accurate in spite of my lack of knowledge about these things! I am only disappointed that Costa Rica lost their first match. Hopefully though Spain can still win the whole thing...
Comments
Post a Comment