Skip to main content

It's nearly here!

'It' being the girly spa weekend that I finally managed to sort out for five of my oldest friends. We're off on Friday and I can't believe it's come around so quickly after all the planning and faffing. There will be plenty more faffing before it's over, I know, but we're nearly there! I'm going to need to get my legs ready for the pool side, which I'm not so keen on but it's a small price to pay (plus the actual price...) for a nice facial and a massage, plus a good catch up.


Things at work are pretty mental at the moment so I really feel like a couple of days away will do me some good. It feels like I'm drowning a little bit in the amount of stuff I'm expected to take on at the same time, which aren't really compatible, and more than twice this week at least it's led to me looking disorganised and stupid and being on the receiving end of what feels to me like harsh words. I do recognise that I'm too sensitive to that, and it's dawned on me that it's mostly because I try so hard to impress people and get their thanks or appreciation that frankly anything less than that feels like a criticism. When that happens I spend a lot of time feeling pretty worthless and then try to justify to myself why it wasn't my fault. Which isn't really that constructive. I need to learn to recognised when something really isn't a failure, and move on.


On the other hand, I have had a few positive things this week. I finally met with someone from a charity looking for a new trustee and it was really exciting because they seem to be one of the ones who actually work hard to achieve something and make a difference. I'm meeting someone else this week so hopefully we can work out what I actually need to do, I'm totally new to this whole thing!


Now, because it's a lovely day, I think I ought to find something I can do outside. I've already cleaned the car (only the third time I've done it in three years of owning it - awful aren't I?) and done all the gardening things for this weekend so maybe I'll just sit outside and work on my socks for a while. Hope you're enjoying the weather too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...