Skip to main content

Braised butter beans

Nom. Just made some yummy braised butter beans - which I kind of made up because I just had a feeling what would work (this is fairly rare for me, usually my gut feelings on cooking end up a bit bland or uncooked or yukky). So I thought I'd share (and make sure I can find the recipe if I want to make it again). The quantities are fairly rough.


Serves four as a side dish:


250g dried butter beans, soaked overnight
Small onion, sliced finely
1 or 2 carrots, cut into rings
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp ginger, grated (I used frozen ginger because I never use ginger frequently enough to make having fresh ginger worth it and frankly I can't tell the difference)
Squeeze of lemon juice


Heat some oil in a medium sauce pan and add the onion, carrots and garlic. Fry for a minute or two.
Add the ginger and butter beans and a pint or so of water.
Cover and bring to a simmer.
Leave for around an hour until the beans are soft, stirring occasionally.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice.


I served it with rice, and lettuce with a little soy sauce. The combination of flavours was really good if I say so myself :) It would be even better with a nice crusty roll as well to contrast with the other textures.


Apologies for the lack of photo, I'm not great at photography at the best of times and food is even worse.


In other news, despite being full of cold today I re-cat-proofed the garden (sigh), made spicy lentil soup (also yummy) and got about halfway through the first clue of the mystery sock I'm working on. All in all a productive day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...