Skip to main content

A new year in the garden

Today has felt productive. We finally picked up my framed pastel work that I dropped off a month ago (life has kind of got in the way since then). Mr Smartie seemed impressed with how it looks so we've actually hung it in the living room instead of the spare room as originally planned. I think it looks great and I'm so proud of it :)




Also did some less thrilling tasks like dry cleaning and posting some things for the UKarma group, plus did a fairly thorough clean of the house. It was nice to sort some things out without procrastinating for once.


The weather here was lovely today (in fact, it has been most of the week) so I finally got out into the garden and turned it from an overgrown disaster zone 




into a fresh clean canvas for the new gardening year.




We even got out some of the compost that was ready, which inspired Mr Smartie to knock up a better compost bin type affair. We had been using an old plastic bin with the bottom cut out but it's basically full so he used some leftover wood from when he insulated the cellar to make a kind of frame for the compost.




It's similar to what both my parents and his have, so hopefully it will serve us well. It does take up more space than the original set up but it's much easier to get at the compost to mix it up and means we can leave it longer before needing to put it on the garden so it should be better for the soil.


I've also spent a lot of time searching for a lovely deep purple sock yarn for a mystery sock-along on Ravelry, and I've come across a lot of amazing dyers. It does make me wish I could dye yarn but until I've worked through my existing stash (or most of it at least) it seems silly to get involved in something new. In the end I decided to use some yarn from my stash and just hope I'll stumble across that perfect coloured yarn eventually. Or learn to dye!


And now, I really must knit something! My cowl is still about 92% finished and I have to finish it otherwise it'll be too warm to wear it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...