Skip to main content

Steamed pudding

One of the things I've never cooked before (to my memory at least) is a steamed pudding. My other half buys these little microwave puddings all the time from Co-op which are pretty nice but so expensive for what you get, so I figured I should at least try to come up with an alternative. And what should happen to be one of the yummy recipes in this month's Waitrose magazine? Valentine Warner (not usually one of my favourites but still) does a Steamed butterscotch pudding. For some reason it doesn't seem to be on the website yet so I can't link it but pick up the January 2012 Waitrose magazine and you're sorted.

It's a pretty simple recipe anyway, just blitz a basic cake mix and pop it in a pudding basin (had to buy one specially but I think it's going to get some use!). My main problem was what to steam it in, but it turns out that a Le Creuset casserole is the deepest thing I own, and it worked like a dream. It holds the heat so well that it keeps it steaming really consistently and is much more air tight than I thought so hardly any of the steam escaped. I didn't even need to top it up with water, despite accidentally leaving it to cook for about half an hour longer than the recipe suggested. It was only himself being hungry and asking why his pudding was so late that reminded me at all! It didn't seem to mind though, as you can still it still looks pretty puddingy:


If I made it again, I might do a syrup one so you get a bit of sauce with it. As it was, I had planned to do custard but we didn't have much milk left at the time so that didn't really work out. Surprisingly though, it's really moist so didn't seem too dry on its own.




I'll definitely be making steamed puddings again. The only thing is you have to have a couple of hours for it to cook, but if necessary I can make it one day and eat it the next. 

Comments

  1. ooh pudding. I love puddings. have you looked at House of Pinheiro's blog? She loves baking as well.
    http://houseofpinheiro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm who doesn't love pudding?! I'm definitely going to take a look at House of Pinheiro, it's great getting to see new blogs :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...