Skip to main content

New sewing machine

So I think I mentioned I have a sewing machine. My stepdad's mum gave me hers which she sadly can't use anymore because her eyesight is now so poor. It was really kind of her because it will be so much use to me and I would never have set aside money just to buy one, it would have felt like an extravagance. So, in all its glory, here is my (new to me) Jones machine



The colour is just gorgeous - probably slightly greener than it looks in the photo, and it runs pretty well although I think it will take me a bit of time to get to grips with it properly. It came with these little cog type things that look like they are to do embroidery patterns.


I need to work out how to use them, but maybe after I've done some of the other things I'm supposed to be doing. I didn't have a lot of success today, all the shops were shut so I couldn't get the bits and pieces I needed and the things I did try to start on were... not brilliant, but I'll get there.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your first sewing machine. I have a friend whose mother-in-law gave her one of these Jones machines, and they work like a dream. I'm sure you'll enjoy this one. What a nice thing to start the year with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely way to start the year, gave me lots of inspiration to get crafting in 2012. And the machine is brilliant, it's holding up really well whatever I throw at it and I'm just waiting for something I can try out the embroidery patterns on, they're so clever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...