Skip to main content

Bread


Bread and I have something of a love-hate relationship. I love to eat it and love the idea of making it, but I hate that it always turns out pretty rubbish. But as part of my 'let's not be lazy or scared of stuff' attitude to 2012, I felt like I ought to try again. So I bought myself a loaf tin (apparently up to now all the places we rented must have randomly had a loaf tin there!) and looked for a recipe. In the end I went with one from my stepdad.


Now, my stepdad is not the most open, helpful person you might ever meet, but there are certain things that he is very good at and enjoys doing, one of which happens to be making bread. I was still surprised though at how excited he was when I asked him for his recipe; he remembered almost all of it by heart and merrily gave me little tips and checked the temperatures just to be sure. It was really sweet and made me realise that all most people want is for someone to show an interest in something they care about and recognise what they're good at.


So the recipe he gave me (for a 2lb loaf) was:
400g strong white flour
200g wholemeal flour
Tsp salt
Handful of golden linseeds
Other seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc) if desired
Yeast as per packet instructions (except that he uses honey instead of sugar to feed it and I think this makes it taste slightly nuttier and more interesting)
Tbsp of oil (preferably groundnut as it has no real taste to it)


Make the yeast and leave to froth until there is at least 1-2cm of froth on top
Mix the flour, salt and seeds together in a bowl then add the yeast
Add the oil and then enough cool water to bind but not make it wet (around 300ml maybe?)
Knead the dough until really stretchy. My parents use a Kenwood mixer but I did it by hand, partly because I have no such wonder, but mostly because that's the bit about bread-making that I especially love. It does hurt a bit if you have long nails and the dough gets stuck underneath them though!
Cover the bowl with cling film, leaving plenty of air in there, and leave to rise for around an hour, so it about doubles in size
Beat the dough back and put into a greased tin
Leave to rise again, until it reaches easily to the top of the tin, if not overflowing a bit
Bake at 220C (gas 7) for 10 minutes, then turn down to 190C (gas 5) for 25 minutes until golden on top
When you take it out, if you tap the bottom of the bread it should sound hollow, otherwise you might want to cook it for slightly longer


After my stepdad was so nice about the recipe, it felt like a bit of a burden to make it turn out well. And actually, it kind of did in the end. There were a couple of setbacks though. Firstly, I thought my loaf tin was too small, so I split the dough in half and baked half of it as a sort of tray loaf, so we have two quite small bits of bread, tasty nonetheless.


Secondly, it took aaaages to rise. This has always been my problem before. We don't tend to have the heating on at home, and if we do it's set to somewhere around 15 or 16C (which my other half says feels too warm to him but we've agreed that any lower would be unbearable for me). So after the usual hour that recipes suggest, my dough is sort of slightly bigger but definitely not fluffy or doubled. Usually I just give up and bake it anyway but I really do want to understand where I'm going wrong and try new things. So I did a bit of googling and basically found that yeast does not die in cold (in fact, you can leave it in the fridge overnight quite happily) but heat about 50C will kill it. So I thought it was worth trying just leaving it as long as it took.


When I got up the next day (yes, a whole day later), it looked ok so I whacked it in the oven. It didn't look great when I first took it out but I was really impressed with the taste and even he said it was good, so I think I'll try to make a loaf or two a weekend ritual from now on, along with cake(s).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Monday - 18 June 2018

This week's roundup of crafting... FOs I have finished Jo's Pride and just need to get a decent photo - to edit shortly I hope. It has turned out really well, very wearable thankfully! WIPs I have started swatching for another shawl from the Victorian Lace Today book, not sure I like the yarn yet... Plans I am going to Ribes y Casals in Palma tomorrow so will keep an eye out for fabric there for the things I fancy making from the Moda de Pasarela magazine I have.

This week was... wonderful

A favourite word of my mother in law, said in a strong Nothern Irish accent, nearly rolling the 'r' and with an emphasis on the first syllable - WONderful. Trips My mother-in-law and a friend of hers are staying with us at the moment. This has been a great excuse to see some things that Mr Smartie isn't that interested in, and to revisit some of our favourite spots. We have of course been to the beach a fair bit (the weather has been generally hot) but also took the train to Sóller from Palma, visited S'Albufera, walked around Alcúdia, and revisited the Coves d'Αrta and Canyamel.  We tried to have an afternoon at the beach at Son Serra de Marina but there had obviously been a storm out at sea because the beach was covered in mounds of seaweed. Even the sea was full of it, making the waves look black. Not especially inviting, although some of the locals did go out in it. Gargoyles at Palma Cathedral I have really enjoyed having them both here, they are gr...

Some ups and some downs

It seems to have been a while, sorry about that. In my defence, I've been pretty busy. The weekend away was lovely, just the right mixture of chatting, pampering, drinking and enjoying the countryside. I think we'll definitely be going again, we're heartily converted to spa breaks now! Since then though, work has been crazy busy and also just more difficult. I know it sounds stupid but I seem to be dealing with a lot more stuff that used to be above me. It would be great (career progression and all that) except that I've had basically no training or support to make sure I know what to do, so I'm basically making it up a lot of the time. Add to that working for some pretty awkward people and generally I've been incredibly stressed. I think that has triggered my depression so everything has been several times more difficult to deal with. I know I haven't been a lot of fun to be around! We have booked a holiday for next month though; we're going camping ...